Man stabbed to death

first_imgBACOLOD City – A man was stabbed todeath in Barangay Camp Clark, Isabela, Negros Occidental. Officers of the Isabela municipal policestation have yet to identify the suspect and the motive of the incident./PN The 39-year-old resident Junjie Peduhan,who died of stab wounds on the chest and back, was found inside a nipa hut ataround 1:30 p.m. on Jan. 18, a police report showed.last_img

Read more →

Families of ‘Ursula’ victims get aid from prov’l capitol

first_imgAndria de Asis of Barangay Jalaud,Barotac Nuevo lost her husband and three children on Dec. 25, 2019 due toflashflood. She received a total of P80,000. Of the total casualties, four camefrom Balasan; four from Barotac Nuevo; three from Batad; two from Carles; andone each from Estancia, Dueñas, and Passi City. De Asis thanked the provincialgovernment for the assistance. She added that the governor assured her of a jobat the capitol to ease her financial burden. Each relative received P20,000 fromthe Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO). ILOILO – The families of 16 casualtiesdue to typhoon “Ursula” last month received financial assistance from theprovincial government. The four were on vacation at herhusband’s house in Batad when the typhoon struck. She was in Manila during thattime while her two other children were not able to join the vacation. “I was in Manila that time and wasscheduled to fly to Kuwait to work as a domestic helper. I didn’t expect thatit will happen,” she narrated while trying to contain her emotion. Provincial Administrator Suzette Mamonwho represented Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. and PSWDO chief Dr. Neneth Pador,distributed the checks on Jan. 17 at the Governor’s Office. Meanwhile, Dr. Pador said the provinceis looking at providing scholarship to De Asis’ two children. The PSWDO alsorecommended to the provincial board to include in the cash-for-work programthose who lost their homes during the typhoon. (LHC, Capitol News/PN)last_img read more

Read more →

De Lima wants 15-day paid leave for disaster volunteers

first_img“As a country who has suffered increasing levels of calamity, itbehooves our government to continue to rise to the occasion. One such measureis to activate our civil servants as reserve emergency responders in times ofextraordinary disasters,” De Lima said. The senator, however, explained that the leave will be subjected to theapproval of the government department or the agency the employee is under. “Legislation must be made not only to allow our government employees tojoin the disaster response contingent but to encourage them to do so byprotecting their tenure and granting paid leaves to those who are trulyqualified,” she added. In her Senate Bill No. 1284, De Lima said that certified disasterresponse volunteers must be compensated for their regular pay rate for regularwork hours during their time of absence due to volunteer services. De Lima, who chairs the Committee on Social Justice, Welfare and RuralDevelopment, said that a proactive approach to disaster response is imperative. MANILA – Opposition senator Leila de Lima has filed a measure beforethe Senate which seeks to grant disaster service volunteers a 15-day paid leavefrom work within a year. “These natural disasters, such as typhoons, earthquakes, floods, volcaniceruptions, landslides and fires exposes the country and our people to a widerange of risks, billion-worth destruction and losing the lives of ourcitizens,” she said./PN “These volunteers play an important role in increasing the government’sresponse capacity especially at the community level,” De Lima said. “A coveredemployee who is granted leave [s]hall not lose any seniority or any alreadyaccumulated vacation time, sick time or earned over time due to such leave,”she added. Senator De Lima proposes a bill that seeks 15 days of paid leave within a year for disaster response volunteers. PAGEONE.PHlast_img read more

Read more →

Aklan suspends classes amid ‘coronavirus scare’

first_imgOf the figure, China had 5,997confirmed cases and 9,239 suspected cases.(Witha report from Akean Forum/PN) Classes in the Regional Science HighSchool for Region VI were also cancelled while some parents did not wait for anofficial class suspension announcement. The Chinese nationals from Hubeiprovince will stay in Aklan until Feb. 3 or the maximum 14-day incubationperiod.    BORACAY – Some classes in public andprivate schools in Kalibo, Aklan were suspended as pre-emptive measures againstthe new strain of coronavirus.    Provincial Health Officer Dr. CornelioCuachon Jr. said the tourists did not manifest the “flu-like” symptoms afterfour of them had close contacts with a patient positive for coronavirus in HongKong.       The 11 Chinese – seven adults and fourchildren – were traced by health authorities in Boracay Island, Malay, Aklanlast week.   Around 6,065 confirmed cases and 132deaths globally were recorded due to the coronavirus from China, according tothe World Health Organization on Jan. 29.   Students wear face masks at a Chinese school in Quezon City, Metro Manila on Jan. 28. Due to fear over a new coronavirus strain, classes in public and private schools in Kalibo, Aklan were suspended “to safeguard the health and safety of students, employees and teachers.” REUTERS/ELOISA LOPEZ The “virus scare” also prompted peopleto buy and wear face masks for protection. This after Kalibo mayor EmersonLachica issued Executive Order No. 004 on Jan. 29 which called for thesuspension of classes to safeguard the health and safety of students, employeesand teachers following the announcement of the Provincial Health Office inAklan that said 11 Chinese nationals were put under medical observation in agovernment-run training center in Kalibo. Although there are no confirmed casesof the new coronavirus in Aklan, the indefinite suspension of classes is ineffect for schools near the tourism and training center.   The class suspension affected around4,000 students of Starglow Center for Academics and Arts, Buswang Old BakhawSur Elementary School and the Saint Gabriel College, which are within the500-meter radius from the training center. They were admitted in the AklanProvincial Hospital in Kalibo on Jan. 24 and were transferred the next day tothe Gov. Corazon L. Cabagnot Tourism and Training Center in Barangay OldBuswang – about two kilometers from downtown Kalibo for monitoring.     last_img read more

Read more →

NegOcc officials discuss water security issues

first_imgBACOLOD City – Stakeholders from varioussectors of this province converged for a two-day summit to discuss the pressingissues of water security and also proposed solutions to provide potable andaffordable water for the Negrenses. Benitez said the government authorities,private sector and civil society must work together to institute criticalreforms and investments that would build adequate water infrastructure andensure social and environmental protection for generations to come.(With a report from PNA/PN) “An integrated approach to waterresource management or strong collaboration is key to rational development andthe management of water, land, and related resources to maximize economicbenefit and also to ensure social welfare and ecological balance for thelong-term,” he added. “Negros Occidental is a witness to thesetrends. The province is rapidly urbanizing. In 2015, 61 percent of the 2.5million population lived in urban areas and water infrastructure has beenunable to meet the growing demand,” Benitez said. In 2018, only 37.2 percent of householdsin the province have Level 3 water supply. That means having an extensivedistribution network of piped water connecting individual households. The Negros Water Summit, held at theNegros Residences, was organized by the Office of 3rd District Rep. JoseFrancisco Benitez, the summit director, to tackle four key themes – watersupply and quality, sanitation and sewerage, sustainability, and watergovernance. “High NRW levels prevent water utilitiesfrom recovering their investments and generating income that should be used toimprove infrastructure and expand service delivery. We do need to get our actstogether to promote water efficiency and conservation,” Benitez said. All 17 operational water districts inNegros Occidental reported 26.81 percent of non-revenue water (NRW) or lossesfrom leaks or pilferage. Although there is no short supply ofinnovative technologies that ensure a sufficient sourceof safe drinking water,he said that the stakeholders should explore alternative water resources andutilize water treatment technologies in order to address water scarcity and tohelp the cycle of water. “The degradation of water supply, thedepletion, and contamination of aquifers, the pollution of surface watersources, the denudation of forests and watersheds threaten our supply of safedrinking water,” he added. “We must come together to findsustainable solutions. Our next generation and our current development demandit,” said Benitez in his opening message. He also cited trends that disrupt accessto the water cycle, pose risks to water scarcity, lead to water stress, slowdown groundwater recharge, and reduced surface water flow, among others. Focusing on the challenges of watersecurity, the summit director said there is an increasing demand for suchvaluable resource at unprecedented levels due to population growth anddevelopment, which put water sources under threat.last_img read more

Read more →

S. Africans clash with cops over food aid

first_imgCAPE TOWN – South African police onTuesday fired rubber bullets and teargas in clashes with township residentsprotesting over access to food aid during a coronavirus lockdown. Hundreds of angry people fought runningbattles with the police, hurling rocks and setting up barricades on the streetswith burning tyres in Mitchells Plain over undelivered food parcels. South Africa is currently in the middleof a five-week lockdown to curb the spread of coronavirus which has so farinfected more than 2,400 people. (AFP) South African police clashed with Cape Town township residents protesting over access to food aid during a coronavirus lockdown. AFP “We have small children. We want to eat.They must also eat,” said resident and mother Nazile Bobbs.last_img

Read more →

Religious activities now allowed in NegOcc’s GCQ

first_imgMoreover, religious organizations shall inform the public of the schedule of Masses or services, and are encouraged to continue the online streaming of these Masses or services. Meanwhile, EO 20-24 reiterates the closure of borders, ports, and airports in Negros Occidental until May 31, as stated in EO 20-15. Churches and religious establishments are also required to disinfect the premises after every service. Buzon heads the Diocese of Bacolod, which covers parishes not only in Bacolod but also in some towns and cities in the southern and northern part of Negros Occidental. Gov. Eugenio Jose Lacson gave the green light to the resumption of church Masses and services as part of Executive Order (EO) 20-24, which formalizes the extension of the general community quarantine (GCQ) in the province until May 31. This is stated in Section 2 providing safeguards against the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) under the heightened patrol of seaports and borders, along with the practice of social distancing, 14-day mandatory quarantine for all persons entering the province, mandatory use of face mask, and intra-border checkpoints. BACOLOD City – Religious activities in cities and towns in Negros Occidental, excluding Bacolod City, will resume Monday, May 16 with strict observance and enforcement of social distancing and safety protocols. Section 3 states that religious organizations shall only be allowed to admit attendees of up to only 50 percent of the building capacity. “There will be Masses and as I understand from Bishop (Patricio) Buzon, they intend to have more Masses, considering the limited number of parishioners that can come in during a single Mass,” Lacson said in a press conference before he signed the EO on Friday afternoon. “The borders between Negros Occidental and Negros Oriental will remain closed,” Lacson said. (PNA) “There shall be no physical contact and everyone shall wear a face mask at all times,” it added.last_img read more

Read more →

A Day at the Track

first_imgOne of my fun days since I am retired is to take off and spend an afternoon at a horse track. This year it is going to be harder, because my favorite track is shut down for renovation. River Downs is in a multi-million dollar makeover, so it can not only feature live racing and OTB racing, but also slot machines. This is the new trend in tracks. I am only interested in the live racing. I like to watch those beautiful thoroughbreds run. However, with the increased cost of developing a race horse, fewer horses are available and people seem to think they cannot loose enough money just betting on live races. Therefore, tracks are forced to supply the full line of gambling to bring the crowds to the track. If they are successful, then the horses will appear in larger numbers again and everyone will have a chance to make more money. I will have to go to Shelbyville and see how I can do at their track. It is a beautiful facility, but in the past did not feature thoroughbreds as much as I liked. This has changed, so I will have to see how that goes this summer. With my $2 bets, I doubt if I develop a gambling problem. I just like to see how I can do against the odds, and as I said previously, watch the horses run. I have been known to spend 4 hours at the track and spend no more than $20. I usually can match that in winnings, so at the end of the day I am all even. I am the last of the big-time bettors!last_img read more

Read more →

Boys Soccer-Bulldogs at Trojans On WRBI

first_imgListen Monday Night (9-30) for exciting High School Boys Soccer action as The Batesville Bulldogs travel to East Central to take on Trojans.Varsity kickoff will be at 7.Tracey Fox, Mike Robertson, and Uncle Randy Mullins will have the call of all the action.last_img

Read more →